Monday, March 19, 2012

Meet Me in the Middle Chapter 6

According to the book talk presentation about Student-Oriented Curriculum: A Remarkable Journey of Discovery by Wallace M. Alexander, holding students accountable for their work actually gets a better effort from them. This makes logical sense. Like Wormeli talks about in this chapter, students who are held accountable for due dates and assignments will do well. However, if students are allowed to turn in assignments at any time and still get an A, they are not going to get it done on time. A unique aspect about student accountability I never thought of was extra credit assignments. If a teacher gives students the opportunity to do extra credit work, they are less likely to try hard on the initial project. Personally, I want students trying their best on the initial assignment I give them and not bank on the extra credit I might give. I like Wormeli’s idea about letting students revise their primary work. This way students work harder to get the grade they want the first time.

This chapter also talks about how teachers must be held accountable as well. I completely agree. How can I expect my students to do the best they can, if I am not doing everything in my power to do the best I can? Everything from planning lessons appropriately to attending the students’ game or contest that I said I would go to are all ways I can show my students I am invested in them as well as their learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment