Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Meet Me in the Middle Chapter 8

Assessments are a key part of the educational process. Most people would think that assessments are those tests and/or quizzes that are given to students at the end of a lesson or unit. However, this is gives assessments a bad name. Assessments are meant to a teacher how well a student has mastered and understood the material. Tests and quizzes do not always adequately show the amount of information that students have mastered and retained. Not all students learn the same way, so why should they be assessed the same way? I loved the examples of unique assessments that Wormeli mentioned in the chapter. Musical compositions, debates, mock funerals, and restaurant menus are just a few of the different ways that students can show their mastery of the content, in a way that is comfortable to them and their learning style.

One of the best hints for an effective assessment that was mentioned was having clear goals. I do not know how many times throughout my schooling I did not know what the teacher wanted from me as I completed a project. It was so frustrating! Teachers should always make sure students know exactly what is expected of them so that they can receive the grade they want. I have grown very fond of using a rubric or checklist and making sure the students have a copy while they are completing their assignment. This way they know exactly what I am expecting of them while they work on their project. Then they can assess themselves and make sure they have all the crucial pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment