Monday, January 23, 2012

Meet Me in the Middle Chapter 1

In order to be the most effective teacher, I must look inside myself and know my philosophies, quirks, and even listening style. My job is to help my students succeed and do well in my classroom, but I cannot do that unless I know myself and have an idea on how others perceive me. One of the main points that this chapter talked about was that teachers need to be enthusiastic about their jobs. We cannot be under the impression that teaching is meant for those who cannot do anything else. This will not only make our jobs miserable, but it will also hurt the students we are responsible for teaching. Students are not going to learn effectively from someone who does not love what he or she is doing. This is not a problem for me since I have wanted to be a teacher since I was nine years old, but it is a shame that students are at the receiving end of teachers who hate what they are doing.

Another great aspect I got from this chapter was the “high” and “low” egos. I realized I am a “low” ego type person. I enjoy helping someone learn a concept and I try everything I can think of to make sure that they truly understand. I also am not afraid of not knowing the exact answer or making a mistake. On a variety of different occasions during tutoring I have been corrected by a student because I have rushed and made a silly mistake, or have had to read the text book or even ask for help because I simply did not feel certain I knew the right answer. My students felt more comfortable with me after seeing that I am a normal person too.

No comments:

Post a Comment