Monday, January 30, 2012

Meet Me in the Middle Chapter 12

I had to really stress my brain to recall my memories of an advisory type class in my junior high experience. Turns out, we had a homeroom. We met there for roughly ten to fifteen minutes a day for attendance, announcements, and the pledge of allegiance. I had every class, except for the elective type classes, with my homeroom peers. Unlike most advisory or homerooms, I really got to know all my classmates, at least in an educational setting, because I spent almost all day, every day with them. However, I would have definitely learned more information about my peers if we had done the all day advisory programs like this chapter mentioned.

The pros of all day advisory programs are pretty vast. Students get out of the classroom, can help out the community, learn a new fact, get some exercise, get to really know their classmates, and lots more. However, I am curious as to how to make them work effectively. The chapter talked about all these great ideas, like hiking trips and community service clean up days, but how do we know that those will actually foster positive feelings? I know that when I participated in those types of days, my peers thought they were lame and a waste of time. A lot of my peers convinced their parents to sign them out of school so they did not even have to go! I wish the chapter gave me hints as to how to make these days effective and a good experience for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment