Thursday, January 19, 2012

Turning Points 2000 Chapter 1

The original Turing Points ideas seem like common sense recommendations. It is obvious that we need to teach all students equally and get them to succeed. However, I am appalled that the schools are not applying these concepts. I know it can be tricky to get everything done at once, but without all the pieces the students are the ones that suffer. The disturbing test results from the text say it all. When schools use bits and pieces of the Turning Points ideas, they do improve, like from 1990 to 1998, but students are still lacking. One third and one quarter are not good numbers for those at or above the proficient mark in reading, writing, and mathematics. I wonder if all the recommendations are in play if the results would be better.

I do not think I have ever known how important middle school was to students until I read this chapter. I knew it was fairly significant, but I guess I forgot how nerve wracking my junior high experience was. It is true; middle school/ junior high school can be very intimidating to students. If teachers do not take this into account, or treat them like mini high school students, then they are not going to succeed. My education courses thus far have said that we need to know our students individually and know how to educate each one of them best. I feel that this would be a great starting point for middle school teachers in helping overcome the difficulties that seem to be facing our middle schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment